Rules & Eligibility
To qualify for consideration for the Cities of Service Engaged Cities Award:
- Cities of Service welcomes applications from cities only. Eligible cities must have 30,000 or more residents and be located in the Americas or Europe.
- Submitted strategies must show evidence of significantly decreasing (or completely solving!) a specific public problem by tapping citizens’ expertise and talent. Strategies that have not been implemented or have not demonstrated impact are not eligible.
- Strategies must be city-led, defined as led and/or championed by the mayor or chief executive or appointed senior staff person in City Hall or related agency, and target public problems that are a priority for the city.
- Applications must be submitted by a representative of the city under the direction and approval of an authorized executive or body (e.g. mayor, deputy mayor, chief executive, city manager, or equivalent). Applications must be endorsed by the authorized executive or body.
- A city may submit more than one application. Each application must focus on one strategy.
- Current grantees may apply. However, current grantees may not submit applications for strategies that are currently funded by Cities of Service. Applications for strategies previously funded by Cities of Service may be eligible if they have been significantly altered and/or embedded since the conclusion of the grant term.
- Cities of Service may publicize the list of cities that participate in any stage of the Engaged Cities Award and may make aspects of applications public. (This applies primarily to cities that are selected as finalists and winners.)
- Funds can be used at the discretion of the winning cities in support of furthering the city’s efforts to engage their citizens to tackle problems.”