Rules & Eligibility
To qualify for consideration for the Cities of Service Engaged Cities Award:
- Cities of Service accepts applications from city governments only. Eligible cities must have 30,000 or more residents and be located in the Americas or Europe.
- Applications must be for activities that have already been implemented and show evidence of significantly decreasing or solving a public problem. Applications that do not show evidence of significant impact on a public problem are not eligible.
- Strategies must be city-led, defined as led and/or championed by the mayor or chief executive or appointed senior staff person in city hall or related agency, and target public problems that are a priority for the city.
- Applications must be submitted by a representative of the city under the direction, approval, and endorsement of an authorized executive or body (e.g., mayor, chief executive, city manager, or equivalent).
- A city may submit up to three applications. Each application must focus on how the city addressed one public problem.
- Current grantees may apply. However, current grantees may not submit applications for activities that are currently funded by Cities of Service. Applications for activities previously funded by Cities of Service may be eligible if they have been significantly altered and/or enhanced since the conclusion of the grant.
- Cities of Service may publicize the list of cities that participate in any stage of the Engaged Cities Award and may make aspects of applications public. (This applies primarily to cities that are selected as finalists and winners.)
- Funds can be used at the discretion of the winning cities to support their efforts to engage citizens to solve critical public problems.